Published: 18 May 2018
The Port of Malacca, otherwise known as the port limits of Malacca was first declared in 1978 under section 5 of the Merchant Shipping Ordinance 1952. In the late 1970’s, the State Government decided to promote shipping activities as a catalyst to spur economic growth of the state and as such requested the Ministry of Transport to assist in developing and promoting Malacca Port. The port was at that time administered and managed by the Marine Department.
On 15th July 1983, the functions, powers, duties and jurisdiction of Lembaga Pelabuhan Kelang (PKA) was extended to Malacca Port by virtue of Kelang Port Authority (extension of functions to Malacca Port) Order 1983, made by the Minister in exercising the powers conferred under section 47A of the Port Authorities Act 1963. From 1983 – 1992, Malacca Port was administered and operated by Lembaga Pelabuhan Klang (styled as Lembaga Pelabuhan Melaka).
In 1992, under the Government’s port privatization policy exercises, the port business undertakings of operating, managing and providing port facilities and services in Port of Malacca were privatized to Syarikat Perkhidmatan Pelabuhan Gabungan Sdn. Bhd. (SPPG) for a period of 21 years (3 November 1992 until 31 October 2013), while the MPA functioned as a Regulatory Body.
As this concession period ended, in the interim, the administration and operations at Tanjung Bruas Port was carried out by the Malacca Port Authority until the New Privatisation Concession Agreement was finalised and signed between the Government, the Malacca Port Authority and the Terminal Operator (KMB Seaport Sdn Bhd). This 30 year concession became effective on 20 November 2016.